Skip to main content

Urogynecology Specialist

The Woman’s Center

Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery located in Mesa, AZ


What is a urogynecologist?

Women often ask what type of doctor treats urinary incontinence, uterine drooping or prolapse, stool leakage or pelvic problems. There are doctors called urogynecologists whose entire practices are focused on treating urinary incontinence and pelvic problems in women because these problems are so widespread. They have extensive training in the very issues that are causing you so much anxiety.

Many of the pelvic problems urogynecologists treat are related to pregnancy and labor and delivery. Because so many women experience childbirth, a whole specialty to help women with pelvic problems developed called urogynecology. A urogynecologist is a surgeon who specializes in treating problems in women that occur in the pelvis, typically those associated with childbirth injuries such as:

  • Pelvic pressure
  • Lower back pain
  • Vaginal looseness
  • Increased urination
  • Urinary incontinence 
  • Difficulty passing stools
  • Fecal incontinence


How do I know if my doctor is a urogynecologist?

There are some doctors who treat urinary incontinence and pelvic problems in women without going through advanced surgical training. For decades, urologists and gynecologists treated urinary incontinence and pelvic problems in women with limited success. Better techniques and more advanced surgeries have since been developed requiring years of surgical training beyond residency training. As a result, a new specialty developed called Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery (FPMRS), but most people simply refer to it as urogynecology.

Of course, credentials can never guarantee a successful outcome, but when you choose a urogynecologist certified in FPMRS, you can always be certain that the doctor:

  • Has as much as seven years of surgical training, with three years specializing in urogynecology
  • Is certified by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology or the American Board of Urology
  • Operates only in an accredited medical facility
  • Adheres to a strict code of ethics
  • Fulfills continuing education requirements including patient-safety techniques

If you can’t easily find the doctor’s certificate with the words Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, or the acronym FPMRS, then the doctor is probably not a certified urogynecologist.

Dr. Ryan Stratford, Dr. Kelly Kantartzis and Dr. Peter Jeppson are board certified in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, or Urogynecology. Additionally, Dr. Ryan Stratford has served as a board member of the American Urogynecologic Society and as a board member of the Foundation for the International Urogynecological Association.

No matter what type of female pelvic problems you may be having, urogynecologists at The Woman’s Center are highly experienced and qualified to help ensure that you experience the relief you deserve.

Book your evaluation with a urogynecologist at The Woman’s Center right through the website. You can also call to speak with a team member directly.


Connect with us on social media!